View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
some_other_dave
Master EcoModder

As is implied by the above posts, it is not as straight-forward to change out gearsets in a transaxle as in a transmission and separate diff. Particularly, the RWD setup lets you swap rear-end ("final drive") ratios pretty easily, as that is a completely separate part that is quite accessible.

With a transaxle, everything is in one housing and there is almost never room to disassemble that housing without removing it from the vehicle.

The Accords also don't have sixty-odd years of gearing to choose from with possibly billions of units produced of all kinds, as (for instance) GM transmissions have. So you're more likely to be stuck swapping in a whole transmission from another version of the same model year range of Accord. It would be worthwhile to figure out what years and which cars used the same type of transmission as yours, and see what gear ratios those came with. Those would be good swap candidates.

I don't know how sensitive Honda transmissions are to measurement tolerances, but I know that in some older transmissions the ring and pinion are a matched pair and always must stay together. And there is a bunch of non-trivial work to be done in order to swap an R&P set into another transaxle case. Hopefully the Accord is built with much tighter tolerances or just plain doesn't care as much about them, but I really don't know.

Good luck!

-soD