View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #38 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320touring View Post
That’s Fair comment- Everywhere seems busy enough TBH, but it depends how much is sbeing spent, as opposed to “Window shopping”..people can be creatures of habit, so may still go to the shops on a Saturday, but just look, or buy less?
The tills were a'beepin when I went. I agree though, I think everyone now goes for deals when they can - except for the latest tech stuff which they absolutely must have. I have finally got a smartphone that works (I don't count my dead Blackberry because BB is obviously rubbish) and I can see why, but this one will keep me happy until it dies. And being something 'open' I should be able to hack about with it when it needs upgrading.

But whenever there is a Football thing or a Rugby thing the huge crates of beer are on their way out of the supermarkets.

Quote:
Amen to that- the lack of full time, permanent jobs within the manufacturing (and to a lesser extent, the service sector) is scary!
In the period from the war to the 1970s we had a manufacturing sector which meant that the unskilled "layer" of the workforce had somewhere to go. We don't now except for retail, and not everyone is suited to that.

And in the 1980s Thatch's ministers were happy to ship the unemployed out onto medical benefits so that they were not counted as unemployed - which is something that needs tackling. But in there of course there are genuine cases which will ge caught up in the nation's (aka the Daily Mail's) anger which is sad.

At the same time there are those who are happy to live on whatever they are given. As Noel Gallagher recently said "When I was growing up we were the working class and we were the lowest [in society], there's a level underneath that now, the 'can't be bothered working class' who've grown into a culture of benefits."

We don't seem to know how to move on from this.

Quote:
Like many other “developed” countries, we’re heavily reliant on others.
If the “Eurozone” crisis grows, we’re in a fair old pickle!
We shouldn't be, but thats another political argument. The Euro is a dead duck kept alive with taxpayer's money from Germany, and some of ours we could spend on more valuable projects.

Quote:
I have no concern with “real” 4x4’s (landcruisers/Landrovers etc) but I have many many bones to pick regarding “lifestyle 4x4s”..

Not to mention abominations like Nissan Jukes/any other too tall 2wd useless booted piece of crap..
Farmers and workers who need 4x4s and trucks are squeezed by fuel too, especially in remote areas. And yes, they do need to use fuel - a lot of fuel.

A guy at work is trying to suggest to me that the Juke R will be good, I suggested R stood for Repulsive.

Quote:
As for Ricers- they’re generally not insured!
I'm amazed at how many people just wander into Halfords and leave with a wheel and tyre set and assume its OK, and have no idea what it means for their insurance. My Fabia had non-standard wheels and it was a PITA making sure the insurance included them, but I wanted the cover to be legit.

Quote:
The m8 is like an accordion- lots of squeezing on the brakes, then stretching out under acceleration

Problem is that now, £5 of Asda’s finest “Sans Plomb” hardly gets you the length of yourself
Bypass and M9 are just the same. As for £5 of petrol, well, it does for us - either because we are EM'ers or just not very tall