View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
peterj
EcoModding Lurker

Going back and re-reading my initial post, I realized I wasn't too clear about my final question. I believe we're all in agreement about the limitations of OBD-II, and that from a gear-head perspective, FI+VSS is in almost all ways a superior approach.

What I am trying to ascertain is that if you are only concerned with the relative accuracy of readings, as opposed to absolute accuracy, is OBD really that inferior to FI+VSS?

Clearly, if you are interested in accurately calculating the number of miles remaining from the fuel remaining in the tank, FI+VSS is the way to go.

However, if you are only looking to display the *relative* efficiency over the previous 5 seconds, 30 seconds and 60 seconds -- the type of information required to develop proper pedal technique -- is OBD really that much inferior to FI+VSS? My hypothesis is that this could be the case. I am curious to to know if anyone has the data (i.e. access to both systems across a spread of vehicles) to prove or refute this hypothesis.

Obviously, there is a very good chance that I may need to actually perform the experiment myself to get an answer to this question. ;-)