View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #217 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
Some new photos

We just scanned and compressed some image files for the rig.
There's a shot from Bonneville( yes I got there after World of Speed had concluded) where I spent a little time at Mike Cook's 'Shootout.'
The Poteet/Main 'Speed Demon' had run 462-mph on a 1-way pass,blew the engine,and were in process of swapping engines while I was there.
Also,Terry Nish was there with the family's Royal Purple streamliner(386.387 M.P.H.).I got some boat-tail shots for another thread.
The rest of the shots are just various views,some during disassembly,showing some of the panel articulation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The tufts are in areas which I could see through the mirrors.
*The top panel showed very good straight-back flow in spite of the gap between panel and trailer top.
*The side panels exhibited rearward,but 'nervous' quaking of the tufts.Hucho warns that a boat-tail won't properly function unless the air to it is 'perfect,'I'm convinced.
*The underside did not allow viewing,and since the transition bellypan was incomplete,I must presume that the flow under there is also aggravated.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ozone has been eating all the rubber on the truck and both power-steering hoses were breaching on the trip.My apology to you all and the planet.
The upshot is that as the drops of fluid fell,the airstream painted the rearward portions of the rig.
From examination of the oil-streaking,flow attachment is surprisingly good,pushing the droplets backwards from all leading edges ( like the Corvette Stingray model in the CalTech Guggenheim tunnel).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can see from the photos that a 'gap' still remains for the sides/bottom/leading-edge of top-panel.Flow-fence areas on trailer will be turbulent.Tailight fenestration,without Plex. is turbulent.2009 wheel fairing damage at drivers side adds turbulence.T-100 rear wheel fairings are absent.Front wheel skirts ( planned but never fabricated) are absent.
Plenty to do,along with higher speed tests for comparison to T-100 records.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm still reducing the trip data and will report on that in future post.
For 335,000-miles of database,the highest-ever recorded mpg for the T-100 has occurred with the trailer,so I guess she's worth finishing and final tests.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1639.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	9554   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1665.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	9555   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1667.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	9556   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1669.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	9557   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1685.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	9558  

Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1686.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	9559   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1692.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	9560  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (10-15-2011), Cd (10-15-2011), euromodder (10-15-2011), orbywan (10-15-2011), Sven7 (10-18-2011)