Thread: When to EcoMod?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ladogaboy
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
When to EcoMod?

I'm curious about what you guys think about when you should perform an ecomod. Here is my thinking:

I have a number of modifications that I can do to my car that will have an almost immediate impact on the fuel economy. The problem is, if I do all of the modifications at one time, I'm not going to have a realistic idea of how much of an impact each modification has. My car has built in gauges to provide real-time and trip mpg as well as range estimates; however, knowing that those are not always accurate means that I am relying on mileage between fill ups.

This means that, at this point, I am waiting >300 miles between fill ups, and I've been trying to give at least three fill ups between modifications. That means it will be almost 1,000 miles before trying a new change. In regards to modifications that could provide as much as a 10% increase in mileage, though, I'd like to do them as soon as possible (in order to start benefiting from the cost savings).

What I'm thinking is that I might want to make those modifications that are know to be most effective and are most cost-effective first. I can then tweak my car slowly from that point forward, so that I can get a realistic assessment of how each minor ecomod (especially those with questionable efficacy) affects my overall mileage numbers.

Your thoughts on this? Thanks!