View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #51 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
Well in most cases the cars we have are more than we "need" it also has a lot to do with what we WANT.

Do I need a Cherokee? No off course not. but I sure WANT one. I like how they look I like how they perform. Good on gas (for an SUV) Nimble Sprity and again love how it looks. I also enjoy 4 wheeling but would have wanted a cherokee even if I did not want to 4wheel.

And again your not quite ok with me that way. There are no limitations or detriments really in driving a 4wd or AWD vehicle. Unless you go outside of there operating envelope but thats not a limitation of the vehicle thats a defect in the driver.

The issue is not tearing down 4wd/awd vehicles as dangerous or not good. Its about educating people.

Compared to a 2wd care even a FWD the abilities of a good 4wd or AWD vehicle ARE borderline magical to the average person.

The trick is not educating about the 4wd its educating about the BRAKES. ie simple physics. IE making sure they realize that this Civic and that Hummer have something in common. They both have 4 wheels and 4 brakes. When it comes to "stopping" 4wd means nothing.

If I am in the snow I will take the hummer over the civic without a second thought.

Those 4wd vehicles in the ditches have nothing to do with 4wd and ALL to do with the DRIVER.

Its not about magical properties its understanding that this magic has LIMITS and knowing what they are.

There would likely be a massive drop in accidents if all vehicles were AWD with Traction Control. That technology increases on road safety by such a large margin its amazing. Situations that would be life threatening in a regular car are suddenly not even noticed in one of these. They way they can intelligently stop providing power to the slipping wheel etc..

I "tried" to have some fun in my dad's Lincoln Towncar. Its nearly impossible! The Computer simply will not let the wheels slip if at all possible. I would "rev" up to do a spin and it would literally intercede and prevent the tires from spinning. and thats JUST traction control! Both of us tried to spin it. Amazing how stable they are.

Combine that with AWD and wow.