View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
Otto
Master EcoModder

Why not use a conventional heat pump, but simply immerse the heat exchanger in ground water or a pond or lake if you have one nearby? That way, you would not necessarily need the fan or fan motor to circulate over the heat exchanger: Advection would do the work.

Water is ~800 times denser than air, so has ~800 times more heat in it for a given volume. Around here, the ground water ambient temperature is ~50 degrees F in January.

My lot fronts on a small lake, so I could put slinky coiled tubing in the lake for heat exchangers. However, the soil has natural conduits for groundwater, which runs by gravity flow to the lake. So, I'll build the house with a french drain around the perimeter to intercept the groundwater flow, then use that water in a small basin and immerse the heat exchanger there: 50 degree ground water will come to me via gravity flow, for free. No pump or motor needed.

And, a well-insulated building needs much less heat or air conditioning from any source than a poorly insulated one. Best to go with passive solar architecture, well insulated, for modest demand on HVAC.