View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
tru
EcoModding Apprentice

tru - '05 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 39.46 mpg (US)

the truck - '02 GMC Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Top performance of the roof is contingent upon a smooth,radiused edge where the top and sides meet.Ford has provided a special challenge with respect to the tailights on the Focus.
Unless this area can be 'blended' into the extension,there is a low probability for success.I wish it weren't so,but we just can't trick the air.
One option for proof of concept,is to wire the car for a trailer,purchase a trailer light kit and temporarily attach the lights,while covering over the O.E.M. light package.
If you see results you like from the rough prototype,then you know it's worth the trouble to pursue the project.
My gut feeling is that you'll need to fully 'Kamm' at least 18-inches of additional length onto the car for remarkable results.
interesting, i removed the extension last night, we are expecting some heavy weather the next day or so. im going to modify the extensions to flow towards the center of the car with the tail lights and perhaps extend it longer if i like the results.

Also wanted to add that on my return trip home i noticed higher mileage across the board with a bit of a tailwind, its possible the wind skewed my results in the morning on the way into work. I didnt notice much wind but its possible.

Thanks for the replies so far