View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #122 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
OK guys this last weekend I went on a trip to the Lake Superior Performance Rally. Although I met my friends 4 hours in and rode with them the rest of the way, the Probe still needed gas so I filled up.

With 490 miles on the tank it managed 44.68 MPG and bumped my lifetime average up to 40.61 MPG. This is significant as my original goal with the project was 40 MPG! I now know that 85% over EPA and 500 miles on a tank are both possible with this vehicle.

I've owned the vehicle for only two months but have already saved $147 in gas. At this rate it should take me less than 6 more months to pay for the cost of the vehicle, sales tax and mods.

I've gotten crap about this car and its "cardboard" mods, lack of "before" testing and other things from most people on my other forums. I've been pulled over in it twice, once for a front plate problem and once for only having one headlight up at night. I haven't raced for about a year.

Sometimes hypermiling sucks. P&EOC is a pain on long trips. Semis hate drafting. But then I realize I'm saving almost $20 at each fill up. Then it's worth it. It's totally worth it. All the weird looks, all the flaming.

Anyway, here are two pictures on the way up to LSPR, in the browning autumn leaves. In celebration of 40 MPG not only being reached, but being the lifetime average.

Fall by Tyler Linner, on Flickr

Fall by Tyler Linner, on Flickr