View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 09:30 PM   #32 (permalink)
Ladogaboy
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think that's wrong. If American-made products were of better quality, some people would buy them even if the price was higher. The problem - and nothing exemplifies this better than the auto industry - is that all too often, American products give lower quality at a higher price.

I think a good part of this can be traced to a mindset that denigrates technologists as geeks and nerds, so that money that ought to go to R&D instead goes to styling and advertising.
I think the problem is that there aren't really very many American-made products anymore, including cars. Japanese auto manufacturers actually "make" more cars in the United States than "American" auto manufacturers.

My point wasn't just about the quality. Americans aren't buying American goods, and they aren't pressing stores to carry American-made goods. One day, when shopping, I went to three different department stores and was unable to find ANY American-made products. We complain about no jobs and no work, but as a country, we don't actually do anything ourselves.