View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 01:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Oh please. I have several cars with 4 wheel drums and they are no more likely to crash than the ones with discs. In fact they are no more likely to have any brake or braking related issues.
Thanks for putting us all at ease that retrofitting drum brakes designed for the rear of a vehicle on the front will not have any issues and should be just as safe!
I own cars as well with 4 wheel drum brakes and find them to be very grabby and touchy, I've also had motorcycles with front drums and the motorcycles with the best brake control had both shoes set up to expand pushing only the trailing edge in to the brake drum, the motorcycles that had harsh braking had front drums that were modeled after the simple design of the rear brake drums.

But back on topic, No, the rear drum brakes will not bolt on to the front steering knuckle, the drum would but the backing plate with the brake cylinder, return springs and brake shoes will not bolt on, if you have use of a milling machine you could make an adapter that bolts on to the two threaded holes where the caliper bolts go and then provide the 4 bolt holes needed for the brake backing plate, but I suspect that if you had to hire that task out you would never see a return on your investment.

Last edited by Ryland; 10-19-2011 at 01:50 AM..