View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 02:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
^Yup about the fitment. Nope about the dynamics and safety and whatnot.

I'd like to put drums on the fronts of my stuff but in addition to what Ryland said about adapters, I think getting the backing plate over the hub would be problematic as the hubs come off easily on the rear but not so on the front (at least on my stuff). That is solveable... next it is my understanding that master cylinders produce different volumes and pressures for the disc and drum circuits, so something would have to be done to make the front circuit suitable for the drums. Would proportioning valve(s) do it? I haven't really thought that part through.

So the path of least resistance (PUN!) might be to devise a working return spring arrangement for disk calipers. I understand some newer calipers have such a setup so maybe they could be adapted.

For me the path of even lesser resistance has been to maintain the stock system, trying to stay ahead of corrosion so that moving parts can move and seated parts don't unseat and parts that are supposed to contain fluid don't squirt it out all over.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 10-20-2011 at 01:21 AM..