View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
d0sitmatr
n00b.... sortof..

silver fire - '03 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 32.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337 View Post
In Australia, the 2006+ Miatas have a 3.70 final drive ratio. In the US, 2006+ Miatas have a 4.10 final drive. This thread discusses swapping a 4.10 into an Australian car that came from the factory with a 3.70. In the case of my car, I might want to swap in an Australian 3.70 to replace my 4.10.

I'm torn about whether I want to put a taller final drive ratio in. It's an expensive job, and it will make the car more sluggish off the line. The ideal situation would be to add a taller 5th gear while keeping the current final drive ratio (this also would be a not-insignificant amount of work).
that 3.7 from a 4.1 wont gain you a whole lot. whether the cost is worth the reward is up to the individual at that point. but I dont think it would be as expensive as you think to replace. the pumpkin itself should be a straight swap, so your cost would mostly come from buying/shipping it from AU. that WILL be pretty expensive, that is for certain !
there are other options, look into aftermarket gearsets for the Miata, Im sure there has to be some available, plus, Im betting someone, somewhere, has a taller 5th gear ?
the Miata has a HUGE fanbase, so Im guessing there should be tons of resources out there. unlike the protege which is sort of like the "basturd" child

The Following User Says Thank You to d0sitmatr For This Useful Post:
1337 (10-19-2011)