Thread: Igor the Aygo
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sykomor
EcoModding Lurker

Igor - '07 Toyota Aygo
90 day: 63.4 mpg (US)
Actually I bought the Aygo new in 2007 and have been very pleased with it ever since. The mileage has been a bit of a disappointment though so after a trip to Köln on german autobahn -- no speed limit -- this summer I decided to do something about it. I soon discovered Ecomodder.com and learned a lot.

Acceleration has always been like very short time in first gear and up to 6500 rpm in second an quickly in high gear, and I have had decent mileage that way. Now I'm more careful and use engine ON coasting as soon as possible. I also tend to drive slower. Acceleration is still a big problem for me. I just don't know how to deal with it.

The first thing I did when I bought the car was to take out the spare and jack and all tools etc. This autumn the rubber carpets followed and the rear wiper was a bit of a struggle before I could get it removed. I took out the rear seat but it really doesn't weigh much so I put it back. I'm thinking of getting a smaller battery but maybe keep the one I have and go without generator. Haven't decided yet.

The single front wiper was an aerodynamic mess. I tested it with tuft (correct expression?) It was replaced with a 20 cm shorter aerodynamic one. Much better. I'm thinking of maybe make it stop at a vertical position instead of the horizontal. Don't really know how though.

I have always driven with the side mirrors folded. I wonder what the police says if they see it. I have been stopped a couple of times but they have never said anything about it. Maybe they don't see it because the taped body and wheel covers take their attention. Wheel covers were made from self adhesive plastic. Wonder how long it will hold. I don't want to make anything too permanent till I have decided on wheel size. Maybe I will go for 135/70-15. This would lower rpm by 2% and give 2cm narrower tires. The Michelin Energy 155/65-14 are very good though pumped up to 3,0 Bar. Maybe I'll go up to 3,3 and se what happens.

Radio antenna keeps coming on and of. Hard to decide. But right now it's off and the radio unused. Thinking of removing it together with the six speakers. There must be a lot of weight to be saved.

Lowering springs have been purchased and coming on Igor within a few weeks. There is some rubber thing hanging under the front which I plan to make bigger to better keep air from under the car.

LED:s as front parking lights will hopefully function as daytime running lights and LED:s replaced rear/brake lights. You can find them if you search eBay for: 2 X T1O W5W 28 LED SMD LED Side Wedge Light Bulbs Lamp and *
2 T25 1157 P21/5W Red 45 LED Tail Brake Light Bulb Lamp

Electric defroster disabled and I never touch the AC.

Added DENSO Iridium (eBay: DENSO IRIDIUM POWER Performance Spark Plug IKH20) and Castrol EDGE 0W-30 oil up to between the markings (not too much) to get the best performance form the little 998cc engine.

My house is at a nice slope so I always clutch start in the mornings. The neighbors probably feel sorry for me.

And today I did the quick grill block and it was an immediate success.

As soon as my UltraGauge is calibrated I'll go back to 5 liters fillings to keep weight down.

Pictures to come.

(Sorry about the spelling)

More suggestions are more than welcome.

Last edited by Sykomor; 10-19-2011 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: Spelling