View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
tugboat
EcoModding Lurker

Rocinante - '19 GMC Canyon
I just bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, and it easily does 2.5 miles in EV mode. A hill might kick the engine on, but it's got plenty of room (almost as much as my Avalon, it loses only in rear seat room by a hair, and the trunk is a tudge smaller (battery pack has to go somewhere)). But I am very happy with the Sonata Hybrid. Drove my Avalon 2 hours to trade it in (got almost nothing, had 207k miles on it), which took 4 gallons of gas (lots of hills, longish trip). The drive home that afternoon in the Sonata burned a skosh under 2 gallons, same route (but in reverse), the gas gauge hardly moved. I think it's a good family car, hell, my wife has been leaving her 350Z at home this week and been driving MY car to work. I can't wait till we get the tags and I can register it on base where I work! Then it's MINE, all MINE!
(While it's not in my EcoModder garage database yet, the computer said that we got 40.8mpg driving home, in the hills, at an avg of 60mph, counting city traffic and a 10 minute stint at 70mph for testing). I heartily recommend it as a new family car.