View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phh View Post
Seriously, 2.5 miles is a very short distance. If it hasn't been suggested already, how about on-foot? Also reduces wear-and-tear, and other expenses on whatever car you end up choosing.

I used to walk that distance each way for work -- rain, shine, snow, forest fires, etc. Takes less than an hour each way if I walk, much less when I run. If I need to run errands, I drive that day. On some good weather days my wife meets me half-way, baby stroller in-tow.
Yes! 2.5 miles, whether it's hilly or not, is no problem on a bike either. You'd only take half an hour to get to work and after a week or two of biking it you would not feel tired after doing it. Maybe you drive the Prizm with snow tires in the winter. Or buy basically any newer small car for that if you're paranoid about safety. But biking is free and really rewarding. It's also a great way to get regular exercise. Buy a decent hybrid or older road bike for a hundred bucks and ride the crap out of it.

Yes, road bikes work in the winter. The skinny tires cut through snow really nicely. You just have to plan your braking zones and such. If you have decent balance and are going at a decent pace (over 10mph) it will not be a problem. I biked to school daily for all of high school in Minnesota, living on a dirt road. It was about a three mile ride each way and was no problem in almost any weather (MTB in winter). All I can say is make sure you're dressed properly so you're not too cold or too hot, and watch for ice ruts if you're riding on gravel. Then again if you're hitting gravel, get a mountain bike for the winter.

Otherwise there shouldn't be ruts on the shoulder of a paved road. If there are no ruts, go with a roadie.