View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 03:05 AM   #23 (permalink)
HAHA
EcoModding Lurker

Hydroline3 - '09 Mitsubishi L200 Business, Double cab
90 day: 40.86 mpg (US)
Just adding some information for completion...
I communicated with STT Emtec about the Mitsubishi L200 engine mapping and the perceived turbo lag. I learned the following:

The lag is not really a turbo lag but rather the computer not supplying enough fuel to get things moving. This is done to control the emissions (regulations on diesels are very strict these days). The trim box is able to overcome the lag by injecting more fuel in the beginning of the acceleration phase.

I also got the information that the engine delivered peak efficiency at slightly above 2000 rpm and ~300Nm torque (~85 hp), which equals a fuel consumption of about 200g/kWh.

I also learned that installing the trim box will cause the fuel instrumentation to miscalculate because it is not actually measuring the flow and the box is piggybacked on the ECU (south). The "optimizations" are active only at more than 75% throttle so for normal driving, this won't be an issue. For p&g eco-driving, the instrumentation would become pretty useless since you alsmost only use the engine at 75+%.

Anyway, from this I draw the conclusion that the lag during initial acceleration is pretty harmless from the point of eco-driving.