View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #175 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rayo View Post
Yep, I think I've posted in his thread Neil, if you're reading this, how did you make the wind tunnel? An industrial fan? I was planning on strapping the model to the roof of my car for testing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by autogyro View Post
My impression is that most states require D.O.T. safety glass.
Yep, windshield will be DOT safety glass. Industry standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Automobile pictures by kach22i - Photobucket

I tried my hand at what I was so long winded trying to explain. A purest would hate and despise this sort of design trickery, I say; it's all fair game as in true art.

EDIT-2: I looked at the sight lines from the rear view mirror and now better understand the rear glass size. Tyler, go with safety first and sort of ignore my post about it looking too large. If you carry the rear glass over the roof Porsche Targa style, it might make an interesting option.
I like those dots! Patterns can look pretty cool, as Renault has shown us. I just am not sure how it would be 1) received by the buying public or 2) handled in terms of crash regulations. Any thoughts on this?

(I hope I'm not being to critical- it's just how I operate. Someone tells me an idea and I throw back any problems I see. It seems to be the most efficient way to figuring out a solution. I don't want to appear blunt.)

The glass roof idea is a neat one but I've seen lots of members from the Southern states complaining about that sort of thing so I think I'll just keep it conventional for now. Plus, glass roofs are expensive! Maybe painting it white would be neat- both heat dissipating and a cool graphic breakup like the glass roof would give us.

However yes, the rear window will stay large. If you look at the VW Beetle, Saab 92-93-96 series and other long-production cars of the era one consistency is that their rear windows always grew over time.

92, 1949-56

[93, 1956-59, larger oval window]

96, 1960-1980

Last edited by Sven7; 10-21-2011 at 08:40 PM..