View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #123 (permalink)
gtkid2002
EcoModding Apprentice

The Bug - '69 Volkswagen Bug Base
That last design could be doable with only cardboard and duct tape for testing purposes at least. I could try and test it on my '69, but I'll have to find some cardboard. Mom's moving out, and she's using all my online order boxes. Pity, because I ordered a tow hitch that came in a huuuge box.

I think this should have some sort of a door though. The concept of an open air thing would kind of kill the aerodynamics, although it could be fun. If I went with the inline two seater, I'd want a single gullwing that would open and allow access to both seats. I would really love to chop the chassis too, but the concept of a decent sealing door honestly makes me doubt that I can. Although I could swing a shaped plexi window thing I guess. Still would freak me out though.

Sven7 - Lowering it is something I'm torn on. I know it could improve FE, but if it's lowered, it might not have all the function as a bug used to. Granted that it's not really a bug anymore anyhow, but knowing that it could handle in snow would be nice. Although making that out of cardboard for testing at least could be interesting. I also was wondering, wasn't the front the ugly aerodynamic part? I think somebody suggested I get another rear hatch and weld it on the front earlier.

Oh gosh, would having a fully smooth bellypan make it a sled in snow? If that's the case, I want to make one that is removable. I live up 500 feet right now. Sledding down in my car would be BAD.

I'm gonna have to type up the full list of ideas I've been trying to think of while on lunch at work. Just minor things I'd like to incorporate into a final draft, like the 2 cylinder mod thing.

1969 VW Bug - Daily Driver
1975 VW Baja - Current Project
Priors:
1989 Honda Prelude Si 4WS (RIP)
1995 Honda Prelude Si (Traded)
1980 Fiat Spider 2000 (Sold)