View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #128 (permalink)
gtkid2002
EcoModding Apprentice

The Bug - '69 Volkswagen Bug Base
aerohead - I read that article. It does bear a really striking resemblance to the bug. Kind of ironic though. The Cd on that was .55, while the bug was .49? Yet it was supposed to be quite a bit more streamlined. I do find it amusing that it seems like they didn't come with any engine smaller than a 6 cylinder. Heaven forbid you have a straight four in it. Save some weight and boost your FE more. Seems like kind of a pity to me.

Sven7 - I think a rubber fairing wouldn't be too bad. I'd want it to overlap onto the door, so it would rub against it, but that way you wouldn't get close to interfering with the hinge. Anybody who's scrapped/thrashed a car knows how easily car doors can just be bent backwards. Doesn't even take much more than a forceful shove, and I did that to the car on my display picture. Granted that's different from a bug, but those were also quite thicker doors, and it had beefier hinges than the bug does. Heh, it sounds like an aeromodded bug would look a bit more like a streamlined hot dog more than anything else.

I'm also not sure if it's possible to get low profile tires to fit the stock rims or without a 4x100 lug/stud conversion plate and some Honda rims. Although finding smaller diameter low profile tires might be amusing to try.

Making that clamshell is getting tempting to try at least. I have a trailer hitch on my '69, so if I made it attachable to that, I could have it have its own lighting, powered by trailer lights. I still have to figure out how the crap to wire the brake lights and running lights in a 4 wire harness. Confusing me it is.

Also, after seeing the article on the Airflow, does anybody know if there would be issues on the legality of split front windows on modern cars? The concept of reusing the glass is something I'd like to do, and the idea of using the glass from the rear half of the bug on the front seems a bit better than the other way around. Although the quarter windows are flat. Ergh.

1969 VW Bug - Daily Driver
1975 VW Baja - Current Project
Priors:
1989 Honda Prelude Si 4WS (RIP)
1995 Honda Prelude Si (Traded)
1980 Fiat Spider 2000 (Sold)