View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Winterizing the White Whale

Well things are getting chilly here in Indiana this time of year, so I thought I's take some steps to see what I can do to help my warm up times. I've been using by block heater and an upper grill block, but have been wanting more.

So on Friday morning I added a full radiator block. I took a piece of sheeting and cut a piece big enough to cover the whole radiator and zip tied between the radiator and intercooler. It was about 40 deg F outside and even with leaving it plugged in all night and with the radiator block and the upper grill block, it still took around 10 miles for my coolant temp to get fully warmed (~200 F). Even so, I think the radiator block helped some--the last few days the temps were about the same and it was taking 11-12 mi to warm up. At this point I must stop and admit that, YES, my engine is extremely oversized for how I use it!

So today, I finally got an opportunity to install the oil pan heater that I bought a while back. Ahh yes, my idea of a perfect Saturday afternoon in October is lying under my truck sanding the paint off my oil pan (sad, but I'm serious). I just got em on there and they look pretty sweet. I got 2 150-watt pad heaters. I sanded the paint off, stuck em on, and sealed up the edges with some RTV. I put one each side of my oil pan sump. If people are interested I may take some pics and upload them too. Stay tuned for results...

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html