View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #130 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Frank, those cars have completely different hinge mechanisms. The American car doors with C shaped hinge arms move out as they rotate, but Beetle hinges rotate the door literally using the hinge pin as the axis. If you have any 1:24 scale car models lying around they usually use the C arm type hinge. It allows a larger radius for the door to open on so it can clear the fabulous body forms we see on those cars.

The Beetle's simple external hinges just aren't made to have large fender forms on the doors. They're made to open the doors adequately and as cheaply as possible- after all, Porsche's people's car was about function, not form.

Also, gtkid, you might cruise the internet looking for 145/80/15 tires. I know these are commonly used for fronts on Beetles when they start rubbing normal width tires. You might even use them all around.

The main problem is rubbing the front tires against the inner fenders while turning. You could install skinny or low profile tires (skinny will be easier to find), narrow the beam, and/or even just live with the wider turning radius. My Probe's air dam scrapes every time I enter or leave the local CVS's parking lot... I deal with it. If the Beetle is to be mainly aerodynamic maybe you sacrifice a little low-speed maneuverability for some high-speed drag reduction.

Last edited by Sven7; 10-22-2011 at 11:07 PM..