View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Some preliminary results....

So on Sunday I ran with basically no block heater or oil pan heaters and I watched my oil pressure gauge. I don't have an oil temperature gauge. It was in the high 40's outside. It took about 7 miles for my idle oil pressure to go to 40 psi ("normal" warm range).

This morning I plugged the block heater in overnight and the oil pan heaters were on about 5 hrs. Temps this morning were about the same, high 40's. This time my oil pressure went down to 40 psi in only about 3 miles. I'm not sure, however, how much of that may be the block heater--obviously that would help the oil warm up faster too. Maybe sometime I'll try plugging in only the block heater or only the oil pan heaters. Coolant warm up seemed to be helped too-about 8 mi to get to 200 F.

So, it does seems to be helping my warm up. Too early to tell the FE benefit. Today's trip read 37.3 mpg on the lie-o-meter, which is about my average, maybe a tick under. But the roads were wet and I had a slight headwind. Gotta collect some more data...

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html