View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #42 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Nice post, genuninely so.

First thought as what to do is simple: records made easy (such as a smart-phone app).

Second is gauges: Pyrometer and Manifold Pressure

Third is SCANGAUGE

As to records, even irregular ones help. So fill out the fuel log and don't sweat it. I rarely of late fill my tank. Until I do I just collect receipts and records until I do fill. Then an entry is made.

I wouldn't at all both with trying to overfill the tank. Just remove nozzle at first click and be on the way (or install the TANK VENT MOD). Over thousands of miles the method of filling is irrelevant, as only the average mpg counts. I've never worried over it as it has nothing to do with what accuracy actually is.

Gauges -- whichever chosen -- give one an instantaneous readout.

As to other mods: I'd choose the MOPAR winter front, use the block heater, and add a KAT pad to the oil pan (and the trans sump plus rear axle). Don't know if anyone has done all three, but anything to reduce rolling resistance overall as a reduction of internal friction is on the right path.

For a highway-only truck, the aero mods would have preference.

Have you been keeping a log of average mph and average mpg? There is a correlation between a higher average speed and best mpg, overall. I find that under 27-mph (with my truck spec, climate and terrain) that this is the minimal number for "decent" mpg in around-town scenarios. Caused me to study routing for my most regular stops, and to improve it.

Records, report[ing gauges], rolling resistance, and routing is where I'd start (after baselining truck weights, brake drag, alignment, tire pressure, steering wander, CAC, etc. Have you done the 08 steering upgrade?)