View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
TheDon
EcoModding Apprentice

Pepper - '87 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 30.42 mpg (US)
TheDon's Delorean Rescue

Seeing as we got a bit off topic about the delorean in my pic I have decided to post the story behind it.

To start things off, I do not own a Delorean, I just helped my friend rescue it.

I have hang out with my friend, James and we wrench on our cars, go to the junk yards, go to disney world( his wife partakes in all of this as well.. she's pretty cool too!) and just have a good ole time. Well, one day he told me how he has yearned for a Delorean DMC-12 for years and has tons of stuff for and about. He has every single issue of Delorean World magazine, all of the delorean books, magazines, and etc.

At the same time a kid I knew in high school was selling the Delorean he bough 3 years earlier. He bought it for 10k on ebay and he drove it once and parked it since he lacked the funds and or knowledge to fix it.

I put two and two together and told James that I knew of a D for sale and such.the kid selling the Delorean also needed a car so James offered up a 1985 Mercedes 280CE( euro grey market import.. one of 665 for that year) and the kid accepted. so a $4000 Mercedes Coupe and $3k cash got him a Delorean.

this is how we found her, just 3 blocks from his house!

yessir, its a Delorean!

we towed it the 3 blocks ( well 3 blocks over and 4 down) like this... We had to with the doors open, its a frign Delorean.

So, we've done some work to it, mainly pull the fuel tank and clean it out, install a new fuel pump( cause of a no start) and started trouble shooting the fuel injection system since its giving issues.. Stupid K-Jet

My friend James cleaning out the tank

Me displaying the new fuel pump

Yesterday was when we installed the fuel pump and hopefully it will run today

Part II of our offtopic-ness

Seeing as I am a big Delorean fan I am also a Back to the Future fan. Last month there was a big carshow at Celebration,FL( town owned by Disney.. upper crust crap). It was a concourse show with proceeds going to make a wish. The Delorean Club of Florida( DCF) was meeting up to display there cars. I am a member of the club ( car not required) and met up to hang out with them for the weekend. ( saturday was the show and sunday was the tech day).

Some pics

uber low mile concourse car ( like.. 503 original miles!.. trailer queen )

yea son

Chelsea and I... I wish it was mine!

yea, its a Flux Capacitor

Part II section A

Seeing as the Delorean crew was in force the website BTTF.com had set something very cool up for this show. A Q&A session with Christopher Lloyd, Jeffery Weissman ( george mcfly PII &PIII), Claudia Wells, and Bob Gale. Plus a special screening of BTTF PI as well as an autograph session!

I bought tickets for the movie ( $30 donation). The Q&A was $50 donation and I wasn't into the donation amount.. I know I know...

So, Chelsea and I ( girl I know) saw the movie, which was awesome actually getting to see it on the big screen and then we ducked out early to get into line for the auto graphs.

I had nothing to get signed but the guy ahead of me was nice enough to give me a reproduction of the "save the clock towner" flyer he had. He had like a stack just incase. Plus it turns out he is a Delorean owner, cool guy. So He got a stainless panel signed by them all( to match the one he had signed by John Z. Delorean) and a Sony video recorder like that from BTTF. The exact same model!. I got my paper thing signed by them all, shook hands with Lloyd. would have gotten pics but, that was a $10 donation and I was out of cash.

Jeffery and I

Jeffery took our pic in front of the BTTF replica car. The pic with the car would have cost us $10 but I talked to the owner and complemented them on it ( owner is the owner of BTTF.com and its his wifes car.. lol)

Part III

Tech day

After the show some members of DCF went out at night to citywalk orlando and I went with. The next day was the tech day and I had not planned on going but they wanted me to come. So I did

What we did was just work on the cars and trouble shoot, hang out and have shenanigans.

I crashed at a Delorean owners house with another Delorean owner.

on the way, the looks these cars get on the road.

Plus the shenanigan of the year!

the owner ran to the store to get some things with another owner so I was like.. hmm he seems to missing his grill badge so I removed the trunk star from my car and put it on the grill.

We didn't tell him to see if he would notice

close up

I told people it as a rare car, only one made. It was made in the early years of DMC. Delorean and Mercedes did a partnership to see how it would work, and apprently it didn't

When Robert got back(not the guy in the pic) he just laughed and thought that was rich.

I also got to drive a Delorean and work on them. tons of fun

I can't wait until I Get to "Live the Dream"