View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
pete c
Master EcoModder

I have a '90 toyota odyssey which i haven't put enough miles on yet to know mileage. Used to have an '86 sunrader with the 22RE auto.

Folks in the toyhouse world seem to think these things with autos actually do better in 3rd gear. The toyota OD tranny has a very high 4th gear. Driving them in 3rd is recommended by many. Others actually recommend going to a lower (higher numerically) RE as it allows the tranny to spend more time in OD.

If you want the best mileage, look for an older 22R equipped rig. Most of the 22REs are slushbox equipped. Many of the older carbed 22Rs have 4 speed sticks. These have been known to come close to 20 mpg. I suspect hypermiling should get them a mile or two better than that. I would be willing to bet that driving east across wyoming, you could do well better with that ever present 40 mph tail wind.

Another option is the winnebago lesharos. they came with the horrendous renault diesels. Many have been repowered with mopar 3.3 transaxle drivetrains out of minivans. these will do a fair bit over 20 mpg. i would love to have one of these with a tdi powertain. i think 30 mpg could be doable.