View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid View Post
People who are claiming less than $1000 a year can't be including all transportation expenses. Vehicle insurance alone is almost that.
I'm in the same boat as Frank, my insurance for both of my cars together is $442 per year and that includes full coverage on my civic vx (Insurance just for that car is $356 per year) that I bought for $1,100 for three years ago but I have full coverage insurance so if the car gets totaled I get more then I paid for it, it's rust free and has no issues so it should last me another 8 to 10 years and the only work I have had done to it was me installing a new muffler with a life time warranty, a new radio and a new o2 sensor, oil changes are once a year and new plugs and wiper blades are every other year averaging out to $100 or less in upkeep per year.
Registration is cheap, around $75 per year, my electric car has collector plates on it, same with my motorcycles so those are good forever, gasoline to drive 8,000 miles per year comes to $530, electricity to power my electric car that I drive sometimes in the summer is another $25 per year, so I am just up over $1,100 for vehicle ownership for two cars and two motorcycles but if I limited my use to just my one main car I could keep it under $1,000 year.