View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #221 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Thanks, but I forgot to mention that I bought the Elf 0w30 about 2-3 weeks ago. I hope to get the oil change done next month. But I'll try the Aral next year if I'm not impressed with the Elf.

As for insulating the engine, today I sacrificed some time, got dirty and took everything, after which I put it all back together and stashed the insulation back on the garage shelf It turned out that there is NO room whatsoever to get that 2.5cm thick wool anywhere close to the lump. The engine itself is hidden by all the accessories hung on it - cam belt cover, alternator, A/C compressor, turbo and cat, vacuum pump, fuel pump, EGR, etc. Covering any of those would mean that they'd be working in a much higher temperature, which probably isn't good. The intake air ducts have almost free space around them, while the air filter is pretty much glued to the rear of the engine block, being no more than 1cm away from it, while the bottom of the filter box rests on the EGR valve and cooler, with vibrations slowly making holes in the plastic. I couldn't even squeeze the wool between the engine and battery. Yes, there are places where the wool would fit, but they were too far from the engine to make any difference. All of the vital stuff is crammed into a tight little package, which make any kind of work a royal PITA

But to be fair, other than wasting 2 hours of time (plus another 15 min trying to get clean again), breaking a few plastic somethingorothers, and getting 2-3 deep scratches, I did get something done: I cleaned off some of the oil that is sprayed from intake ductwork. And I whole-heartedly cursed a few engineers.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
vtec-e (10-28-2011)