View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Flathead V8 or 6 cyl?

I have done a couple of restorations. Started out doing bodywork in April 1969, when that truck was a baby relatively speaking.

I would have the metal media blasted my self, get the rust off as well as layers of paint and bondo. If you don't want to spend that money then get one of those scotch abrasive wheels that goes on a drill. I have a Bosch 5 amp drill that has been running for the last 10 years and is still going strong.

Assuming the metal is not swiss cheese, you can work it very easily without much experience since there are not many really flat spots and the gentle curves cover imperfections easily.

I took a 49 Plymouth businessman's coupe (1 seat) and sectioned and channeled it and put it on an 83 Nissan truck frame with a 73 240 Z engine. It weighed 2300 pounds when I was finished 800 pounds less than stock.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, it was photoed over 10 years ago then printed. This is a photo of the old fuzzy print. You can see that back of my 37 Ford 5 window coupe in the back ground. It ended up as long as an old VW and as tall as a 97 Nissan Altima. The whole floor was made from scratch.

For the younger crowd, sectioned means I cut the rear end off and removed 9 inches from the doors back then welded it back together.

Channeled means the body was lowered on the frame, about 8 inches. The original body was in pretty rough shape so there was not really much good metal where the body was lowered. The original rocker panels were about 2 inches off the ground when it was first set on the frame.

Both cars, 37 Ford and 49 Plymouth, are long gone.

regards
Mech
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (2).JPG
Views:	95
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	9671  

Last edited by user removed; 10-28-2011 at 09:49 PM..