View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ladogaboy
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
I'm still wondering whether this belongs in the Unicorn Corral. In my experience, any increase in efficiency will result in a commensurate increase in noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH). Likewise, a reduction will in NVH will result in a decrease in efficiency. Typically, the areas where efficiency are compromised the most are those areas that affect consumer conscience (e.g., aesthetics and ride comfort).

This is most evident in the performance car sector, where drivers are constantly looking for ways to more efficiently transfer power. Those modifications almost always result in a less driver/passenger friendly vehicle. Many performance car enthusiasts lament modifying their cars after a point, because those cars are no longer enjoyable (even for an enthusiast) to drive daily.

Now, taking that and looking at these tires: What I see is mechanics similar to under-inflated tires. Do a side-by-side comparison of how an under-inflated tire looks as it drives over an obstacle (like the board in their video). It molds to the shape of the board and then rebounds. What they're claiming to be a transfer of absorbed energy to forward movement looks more like lost energy to me. I'm sure that the ride quality will be much improved, but I have my doubts about any efficiency gains.