View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 PM   #186 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

Cool stuff... is the original poster, GTkid, still participating in this thread?

As a side note, I've been involvement with the silver stretched and narrowed chop-top beetle shown a few pages back, built and driven by friend Dick Beith (great guy, lots of Bonneville history there). All built in his little shop beside the house, his first attempt at such major body mods on an 'egg'. I also helped him out a little at the Bonneville WOS event a couple of months ago in September. It has a full aluminum belly pan. One mod not very obvious from pictures, is his attempt to 'fill the low pressure void' behind the car with higher pressure ducted air (rectangular openings on both sides of the engine lid). I'm not convinced it was worth the fabrication effort.

Great article on the 60mpg bug, too. I'd never seen or heard of that project, and I've been in the VW hobby for 30yrs+. Thanks for posting that!

I've been telling some of the 36hp VW challenge guys that they need to look at ecomodder for ideas, as the same areomods principles apply to what they are doing.