View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hubert Farnsworth
EcoModding Lurker

Planet Express Ship - '94 Geo Prizm LSI
90 day: 36.57 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
that is likely true for some cars, but the torque in my Kia, which is probably very similar to the Hyundai, only locks in 4th. If you lock out 4th, you would prevent torque lock up. I don't have a overdrive lock out, but I do have a manual shift mode, and the torque won't lock at all in manual mode. Anyway, I agree that driving with overdrive on is going to be best for FE.
Again there may be exceptions, however at least on new/newer cars for fuel economy reasons the manufacturers are trying to get the torque converter to lock up as soon as possible for fuel efficiency, and generally will also lock or remain locked in lower gears as long as the road speed is sufficient to prevent stalling/stuttering from the driveline, because while a torque converter slipping allows for the engine to idle without the car moving, this loss of efficiency because the wheels are always connected to the engine while the vehicle is in gear is reduced once moving and as the torque converter locks up its efficiency approaches but does not meet that of a manual's dry friction clutch.

In the example first presented in this post the accent seemed to feel more responsive in stop and go traffic because it was holding onto the lower gears longer and shifting less, which is usually detrimental to fuel economy due to the higher fuel consumption at higher speeds, this however is tempered somewhat by the fact that if you were driving in stop and go traffic you don't necessarily want the car shifting through all the gears all the time due to heat build up and lugging the engine when suddenly decelerating once again.