View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #36 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
You might be wanting to do some homework before you start typing too.
I already did, as we covered this exact same topic in another thread.

Quote:
A lot of states will allow you to post cash in lieu of buying insurance, new york does not appear to be among them though.
That is incorrect so "(y)ou might be wanting to do some homework before you start typing too." Liability insurance is mandatory in all states except New Hampshire, and there's the bond issue in Virginia and apparently Wisconsin. (Click here)

Quote:
Two problems,
1. there are actually many states that allow a cash bond.
The only problem here is that you keep repeating something that is not true.

Quote:
2. Virginia actually does NOT allow private vehicles to have a cash bond in lieu of insurance, but they do "allow" you to pay $500 to register as uninsured.
Which is why it amounts to a sham. Its a fee or a tax levy no matter what it is called.

Quote:
Which is "fair" considering that other drivers are paying extra for insurance to use the road.
Requiring mandatory liability insurance has to do with LIABILITY. It has nothing to do with road use. In many states there is also a road use fee, and vehicle weight fees, not to mention gasoline taxes that are supposed to be used for road use and maintenance.

Quote:
I guess you wind up paying the $500/year if circumstance has you in a much more expensive liability bracket.
I personally am in the lowest liability bracket, yet it is still a large expense because I live in a comparatively densely populated area. However, that's like saying that the suffering is less, so no one should complain about the mandatory nature of it.

Quote:
You need to be careful when reporting on other states that you know little about or are too lazy to research on your own. If you are parroting some other source with an agenda, don't. You are responsible for the accuracy of the information you post.
You need to read what I wrote and comprehend it. The Virginia fee negates any savings because it equals or exceeds what you would pay for the mandatory liability insurance. You either pay the insurance industry, or you pay the government. Either way you pay and gain nothing for your money (unless you cause a chargeable accident).

And before you lecture and belittle me about citing misinformation, it is time for you to correct your own falsehoods. Go read the link provided that describes New Hampshire and Wisconsin. Then go complain to the folks in New Hampshire about how "unfair" they are.