View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #52 (permalink)
TX_Dj
EcoModding Lurker

Mega - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Cab Dually SLT
Team Cummins
Last 3: 20.68 mpg (US)

Akane - '11 Honda CBR250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 51.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Suitably advanced engine timing and some aero work is really going to be "the thing" for highway deadhead miles.

Great start!

Thanks.

On the 22.7 mpg return trip from the hills, I was running smarty revo #0 w/ tq1 tm4 rp2 sl55... Was looking for advanced timing (with the tm4) and better atomization (with the rp2) and less power overall and a brick wall limiter on speed to avoid temptation. It worked, netting me more than 2.5 mpg additional over my last run.

As for aero, a better air dam has been on my to-do list for some time, but I don't think I'll be messing with it until I get a replacement bumper. My bumper does need replacement, and I'll be going aftermarket with a baja/prerunner style so I have the least amount of additional aero drag (but some, because I do want something to protect the grill). So that way I'll only be building one air dam instead of building twice. But, the more I think about it, building again when I get to the point of buying that new bumper I'll have already had some trial and error and experience building one.

Last night, I spent most of the evening obsessing and sketching designs for an automatic louvered grill which would open just enough at any ambient temp to let the truck maintain 190-200 degrees, blocking off the rest (and blocking entirely for faster warm-ups.)

Don't know if I can pull it off, but the more I look at it, the easier it looks to be done on a stock-style grill vs. the "big open mouth" style that's on the truck now.

2011 Honda CBR250R (brand spankin' new)