View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I advise against a hone and re-ring on high mileage engines. Go with a re bore and new pistons and rings.

Let me explain. The wear pattern on a high mileage engine is a taper from the highest part the rings reach to the bottom of that same reach. Then you have the sharp ridge above the highest contact point above the top ring.

If you hone and leave the ridge and the wear is significant the top ring will break and all of your effort is wasted. Even if you cut the ridge off and then hone you still have the taper flexing the rings on every revolution. Careful measurement of the bores will reveal the severity of the taper, and a crude way to check is to measure the ridge and then just below the ridge. If the difference is more than a couple of thousandths of an inch, then you should bore and replace the pistons and rings as well as main a rod bearings.

If your time is cheap and the ridge is very slight then you might get away with a home and re ring, but in most cases when it is that small you will not have oil consumption problems related to rings. I have heard of people just taking everything apart and cleaning it up and reassembling. They got lucky when the rings were stuck and could not do the job.

Just advice from experience, take it for what it is worth. No need to post nasty responses, to me it is a shame to do 90+% of the work and then not fix the real problem which is a tapered oval shaped cylinder bore with a nasty ridge to slam the top ring which now does not have a wear pattern that matches the ridge.

regards
Mech