View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
TX_Dj
EcoModding Lurker

Mega - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Cab Dually SLT
Team Cummins
Last 3: 20.68 mpg (US)

Akane - '11 Honda CBR250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 51.66 mpg (US)
In my case, I just see no point in spooling the turbo (much)... more boost == more fuel... by planting your foot to P&G, are you not spooling the turbo and increasing fueling?

I've always been a skeptic of P&G (even though I've seen evidence to say it works) because well, Newton says you can't get more out of it than what you put into it... and if you put X into it by speeding up fast and coasting down, getting X as the result, that's great... but seems to me that if you use the technique of getting on the torque peak, mashing the pedal and spooling it all up for a hard pull, X > Y output... because well, it takes more power to accelerate quickly and your glide will be relatively constant from any speed all other factors being the same.

What seems to be working best for me in my truck (granted, an 8000 lbs dually is a bit of a different game than a 1.9 TDI) is to keep boost and pyro low, RPM near or just under peak torque and cruise steady rate while allowing the vehicle to slow on inclines in order to stay below target boost/pyro numbers. Then again, I'm definitely getting nowhere near as good as Dave, and he's admitted to P&G techniques. His truck is also lighter, shorter, more aero and less rolling resistance than mine.

2011 Honda CBR250R (brand spankin' new)