View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
SOURKRAUT
AeroJeep?

Efficient 4WD Jeep

New to the forum and I thought I'd share my plans to make an efficient Jeep.

my plans are to start with a 1992 Jeep Comanche 2wd, I love Jeeps and will only own Jeeps (except maybe an air cooled VW), my goal is to make a realistic, functional truck that I can use as my daily driver, to replace my current thirsty lifted Cherokee. I figured the Comanche would be the best Jeep platform to start with as it is one of the few somewhat aerodynamic models, plus they got decent mpgs stock, with torque minded motors made when mpg ratings were a practical way to fill up empty space on window stickers.

1986 Jeep Comanche 2.1 4cyl Diesel 2WD 5spd Manual-24 city 29 highway
1986 Jeep Comanche 2.5 4cyl 2WD 5spd Manual-19 city 24 highway
1992 Jeep Comanche 2.5 4cyl 2WD 5spd Manual-18 city 22 highway

My plans are:
Engine-VW 1.9 TDI, equipped with a hydrogen generator, maybe a veggie oil/ used oil conversion later.

Drivetrain-5spd Manual from a Geo Tracker (cant adapt Jeep trans to TDI without custom work) and two auxiliary overdrives. With the gears in the spare axle I have laying around I'll be doing 70 at roughly 1700 rpms

Aeromods- Remove fender flares and smooth out mounting surface, fill grill (I'll be upgrading the cooling system to utilize less airflow), a 3" chop top, a coroplast slantback bed cover, 2" lowered and many more here & there aero mods

My naive, mpg hungry heart is aching for 40 MPG.