View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #54 (permalink)
skyking
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Dj View Post
Thanks.

On the 22.7 mpg return trip from the hills, I was running smarty revo #0 w/ tq1 tm4 rp2 sl55... Was looking for advanced timing (with the tm4) and better atomization (with the rp2) and less power overall and a brick wall limiter on speed to avoid temptation. It worked, netting me more than 2.5 mpg additional over my last run.

As for aero, a better air dam has been on my to-do list for some time, but I don't think I'll be messing with it until I get a replacement bumper. My bumper does need replacement, and I'll be going aftermarket with a baja/prerunner style so I have the least amount of additional aero drag (but some, because I do want something to protect the grill). So that way I'll only be building one air dam instead of building twice. But, the more I think about it, building again when I get to the point of buying that new bumper I'll have already had some trial and error and experience building one.

Last night, I spent most of the evening obsessing and sketching designs for an automatic louvered grill which would open just enough at any ambient temp to let the truck maintain 190-200 degrees, blocking off the rest (and blocking entirely for faster warm-ups.)

Don't know if I can pull it off, but the more I look at it, the easier it looks to be done on a stock-style grill vs. the "big open mouth" style that's on the truck now.
I have one of those grille designs roaming around in my gray matter as well. I built custom boxes and running boards, side trim for my truck out of hardwood and marine ply, the bumpers and grille are next.
On a mechanical note, I installed my new injectors a few minutes ago, and fired it off. Sounds great, can't wait till tomorrow to check and set the idle, look for leaks, etc.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears