View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 04:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Vekke
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
In Finland I am starting to make ecodriving practice couses near the routes and places that I usually drive. Some are short routes that people drive everyday and some are long trips I take. People usually record only the fuel consumtion and not so much the route that it is achieved. On shorter routes there will be a driving instruction video how the route should be driven to get lowest fuel consumtion. First route will be 17 km and the target time for that route is 18 minutes. I did it in the video under 17 minutes while driving accordint to speed limits. I did not had to push my brakes at any point of the route to really slow down, I could have saved more fuel by driving even slower but that is not the point of test route. My fuel consumtion for that route was 2.8 l/100km so I beat the EPA overall consumtion. If route proves to standard driver that you can beat the epa figures while still driving according to speed limits it encourages people to start learning more hypermiling techiques. Also if that route is on your regular work route it is easy to test different driving techiniques.

My first video is downloadin to youtube at the moment. My internet connection is slow it takes over 2 days to complete. The route is added to google maps with description of the route.
If you are in a route trip you can search if there is some local routes there where you can test your car and skills and compare your results. Simple and easy how I like things to be. Best routes are the one that are next to big highways that you go still the same way but just can take the test route.

Nummelan kierros taloudellisuusajo harjoittelureitti, Vihti, Suomi - Google Maps

That is my first route and google translation of it.
Taloudellisuusajo training for the planned route Nummela region. The goal is to drive the route through the speed limit on time with minimum fuel consumption. The trail begins at the ABC station in Nummela split when you turn the roundabout CM direction, where the car's fuel consumption would be to reset the meter. The trail ends when you come back to the roundabout. The route is 17 km long and the reference time is 18 minutes.

Of course if you can make even some kind of big event or high quality video its more fun but its difficult to get people there from far distances to same place. If you already have those routes you can use them at some big holiday when people travel long distances with their cars to test the routes. Just lurk at petrol stations where the routes can begin and tell them about the possibility to test tehir driving skills. I would quess that you can but brochure inside the petrol station conserning that driving route...

Those were some of plans that I am doing at the moment on my own...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast