View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
tinduck
EcoBus Driver

EcoBus - '09 VW Multivan SL TDI 103 KW
90 day: 42.1 mpg (US)
Good thing about old-fashioned Europe... when taking your driving lessons, you have to do your driving test on a stick; if you take your test on an automatic, you get a note in your driving license saying that you are not allowed to drive stick shifts.
And I guess the guy from the Strassenverkehrsamt will not issue you a license if you think the only way to shift is UP :-)

Amazingly, over here we sometimes have problems with auto trannys, especially if the car has this broaaaaad brake pedal. Because, what do you do on a stick when the revs go up? You stomp on the clutch with your left foot to put the next gear in. Bingo. With nowadays vacuum-assisted brakes, the tyres start protesting immediately, let alone the traffic behind you :-)

I was wondering anyway why auto trannys are not frowned upon in this forum... there is not a single car in existence which you can get with manual and auto with a better mileage in the auto version. If you are serious about saving fuel, you just have to go manual... even the most modern double clutch transmissions (e. g. from VW, the 7-speed version) use about 0,5L/100km more fuel than the same engine/vehicle combination with a stick shift.

But I disgress.

so long,

tinduck