View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #63 (permalink)
Chris Logan
EcoModding Lurker

Hey, guys...

<- New poster on the forum, but I've been lurking for a while.

During the summer, I fielded a quote from Home Depot's contracting team to add insulation to my house. (It does need it.) But one of the products they offered was a radiant barrier across the joists in the attic.

I asked to see some of the material, and my suspicions were confirmed when the guy handed me a little square of alumanized mylar.

What is aluminized mylar???? Space Blankets are aluminized mylar.

I laughed a little and never got back to him. A few months back, we had a rare Colorado hailstorm and everyone in my neighborhood got their roofs replaced. I found a contractor that agreed to put material that I provided under the new roof.

It got cold before I could test it in hot weather... But it took 20 hours for the house to decrease from 67 to 61 in 40 degree weather the other day... Compared with 6 hours 67-60 before the new roof. (The new girl is a little less than understanding when I mess with the temp in the house.)

All in all, I feel confident about the additional hassle... Especially since the total cost of the space blankets that I provided the contractors was sub-$100 for approx 2000ft^2 of material, purchasing them in bulk on amazon.