View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #22 (permalink)
ecomodded
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
I like the trailer idea myself, Even if you are going to be hauling building supplies constantly with the trailer you simply unhook it and your supply hauling vehicle is now a gas miser, assuming you buy a fuel economy car to start with.
I had thought I needed a pick up before, so i buy a 6 cylinder ford ranger{thinking the 4 banger would not be strong enough) and do use it lots for hauling supplies well doing a whole house renovation, then I ran into the problem of having large windows and lumber to long to haul in my Ford Ranger, now what to do? I buy a 1000 lbs boat trailer problem solved. Only now i have a gas pig daily driver that cant haul large windows or long pieces of lumber. I deduced my truck idea was not really the solution, the trailer was.
I sold my truck and with the cash bought my diesel beetle (and have 3 grand left over) and enjoy 1/3 the cost of fuel , For every 50 bucks i throw in my beetles tank i would have to have thrown $150 bucks into the Rangers tank. I am literally smiling on my way to the gas station as I go there so infrequently.. and I get to calculate my gas mileage :-)