View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #54 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Sounds like the program messes with the transient response.

This is my apperception of aftermarket tuners. No genuine effect on steady-state mpg, but works well for less-than-sensitive drivers in around town stop-n-go. While I admit or agree that some tuners seem to improve steady-state, one has to eliminate any and all changes from OEM to make a viable claim, first. (There are those claims from some with reasonable certification).

Thanks for the lab numbers, Dave. I remember (quite some long time ago) my initial reading in the history of science and the (seemingly) weird emphasis on accurate time-keeping as a precondition to observations, and not just those of astronomy and navigation (as a teenager, all is supposed to reveal itself instantly). Should have thought more carefully about my musical training instead, and of metronomic beat.

Time made visible.

P&G is a funny imposition on the "natural" order of things . . at first.

It took me a little while to get the hang of P&G too. It will seem a little wierd until you get the hang of it, but after you've done it a while it will become almost second nature.

And you're right about accurate time measurement. If that kind of thing interests you I would highly recommend Longitude. It's a book that A&E later made a movie out of. It's about the guy in the 1700's that made the British the first super-accurate watches they could take on ships so that they could tell their longitude. Latitude is fairly straightforward to tell from the date and the length of the daylight but longitude is completely relative. To know longitude you need to know the solar time where you are, as well as the time at a reference location (that's why you need the accurate timepiece--every minute of error = 17 miles at the equator). In those days most stationary clocks were only accurate to 10-15 minutes a day. This guy spent his whole life working on this and eventually made a watch that traveled from England to the Carribean and back. When they brought it back over almost 3 months later it was less than 2 minutes off. Funny thing is the guy was a carpenter--not an educated scientist. The scientists never would give the guy the credit. Like I said, it's a fascinating story, yet it explains many things--like why longitude 0 is in Greenwich England, why the British Navy conquered much of the world in the 1700's (they could navigate so much better), and why it's still the Naval Observatory that gives out the official time.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel_Dave For This Useful Post:
TEiN (11-09-2011)