View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
I have seen engine load % reported by some obd2 diagnostic tools, as some ecm's actually report this themselves. I don't know if this is necessarily the case for your vehicle or mine, or if the number represented by UG is reading from this or calculating its own. In my case, I'm noticing that I rarely show it over 25-30% during acceleration so far, which seems fairly accurate... 25-30% of 500 HP is 125-150 HP or 250-300 ft-lbs if based of my torque number. It's a heavy truck, it takes a lot or power to ramp up to speed even when gentle with it. Even still, this seems a little crazy, because even at stock power the way I accelerate for economy, I'd expect the actual HP/tq numbers for acceleration to be much lower, probably even half of above.

This brings me to other gauges that I believe to be derived from other sensors, such as the HP/Torque gauges (I think that's an EM-only feature, some of you may not have it). The setup asked me for my peak torque and RPM numbers, which is roughly 1000 @ 1800 RPM... at the wheel. As such, UG tells me that I'm idling at 505.6 ft-lbs, which is absurd. It also tells me I'm idling at 75+ HP, which is equally as absurd. It knows my boost is at 0 (approx) at idle, and I know the engine doesn't produce that power except under 100% load with 35+ psi boost...

I don't know why the UG would need to know the peak torque value for setup. And the toque value would be at the flywheel, not at the wheels. Where did you get the 1000 lb-ft @1800 rpm number. Stock peak torque is somewhere in the 600 lb-ft range I believe.

As an aside, I don't think you really need 500hp if you're going for FE. By my calculations, 500 hp will accelerate that 7900 lb truck of yours from 0-60 mph in 3.46 sec.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html