View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #55 (permalink)
TX_Dj
EcoModding Lurker

Mega - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Cab Dually SLT
Team Cummins
Last 3: 20.68 mpg (US)

Akane - '11 Honda CBR250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 51.66 mpg (US)
Dave,

I appreciate the help... but you've not told me anything that I didn't already know.

This has gone past a bit of a hijack of the thread, and for that I apologize.

Smarty reprograms tables, but leaves limiters in place. It appears from documented reverse-engineering of these tunes that the guys who wrote the tunes don't know what they're doing - they command HUGE spikes in the tables, many times beyond what the limiter is set to, in an apparent attempt to fool the ECM (which fails).

Yes, Revo sw0 is what I call the "eco/nanny". It reduces fueling across the board, while keeping timing advanced very high, even at low RPM/load. This, and its throttle response are the only "drive around the problem" issues. Other than that, it acts as a crutch to dissuade me from commanding bulk torque (which as you accurately indicate, can be done readily even on a completely stock truck). With stock, I can and do pull up to 1300F EGT and 30+ psi boost. With sw0, one is hard pressed to pull more than 800F EGT, and you have to really mean it if you want to have it. Even then, it's still less power overall than stock.

My objective, regardless of stock/under-tuned/over-tuned is to find a happy medium that works well for my wants and desires, and that will take experimentation for my specific use case. I invite anyone to say what they will about use of a tuner in the pursuit of FE, but my previous best on stock was 17 city and 20 solo hwy. On sw0, it was 19 city and 22 hwy. A recent test suggests that driven identically, TNT-R sw7 @ 30 PoD may net slightly more than sw0, and the next couple weeks puttering around with the same setting in town should give some indication further.

As part of the experiment, I'll gladly go back to 100% stock and exercise as much discipline as I can muster with an unrestricted program and compare numbers as best as possible. Obviously it won't be apples/apples, but should be close enough.

Anyhow, sorry about the hijack, didn't mean for this thread to turn all about me and my truck.

2011 Honda CBR250R (brand spankin' new)