View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
ConnClark
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Motor oil is not a good lubricant for diesel injection pumps. In the Spicer study, it did not add any lubricity to the baseline fuel.
You might note that they tested USED motor oil with 5000 miles of used and not new motor oil. The reason why people remove the motor oil from their engines in the first place is it no longer is suitable for lubrication. This is due to suspended metal particles, soot, oxidation, etc... Had they tested new motor oil it would be a different story.

I have talked to someone that deals with backup diesel generators at nuke plants. In the reports he has gotten it shows that wear due to the low sulfur diesel fuel is only about 2% to 4% worse than normal diesel. Also in some batches they can meet the requirements with out using the extra stage to reduce the sulfur which reduces the lubricity (its not the sulfur that provides the lubrication). Also in most cases where a batch doesn't meet the requirements they run only part of it through the extra stage and dilute the other part of it until it does meet standards.

I have ran new motor oil in my fuel in the past to offset the btu drop in winter diesel (It works but isn't economical). I had no increase in smoke but then again my engine has a 21.5 to 1 compression ratio which will burn it more completely.