View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 06:15 AM   #48 (permalink)
tinduck
EcoBus Driver

EcoBus - '09 VW Multivan SL TDI 103 KW
90 day: 42.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
a 1.9 is no match for the chassis weight of the Jag. It weighs in at 3979 pounds.
That would be a frightening drive in any trying condition, a merge, etc.
Obviously, you have never driven this kind of engine in a heavy car.

Mine has the 2,0 litre CR TDI with 140 hp / 221 lb ft and weighs 4850 pounds, max gross weight 6800 pounds, and is allowed to tow trailers up to 5500 pounds when fully loaded, too.

When at curb weight, this rig flies... on acceleration lanes (autobahn) you can chase a good percentage of 'normal' cars while moderately accelerating (never above 2500 rpm). Even at full load with a trailer, it is still OK, though you have to rev it up a bit. Top speed is north of 105 mph with the 6-speed manual gearbox (only tried this once, FE is REALLY su**ing then).

TDIs do not have a power issue!

You can even get this engine with a register biturbo setup and 185 hp / 295 lb ft... only thing is, I do not know if those are readily available over in the US.

A 2.0 monoturbo like mine should be available from a scrapped VW Golf VI, Audi A4 or VW Passat. But beware, they come in at least 3 hp flavors.. if you get an 68 KW one, you can easily chip it to get 103 KW / 140 hp since the engine is exactly the same, only the ECU has different software.

so long,

tinduck