View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
TXwaterdog
EcoModding spendthrift

WindedWarrior - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillermoariast View Post
Hello, thanks for your answers, my 1980 Blazer details:

- engine: 4100 cc or 250 ci, gasoline
- 4x4
- full covered body, not a pickup.
- 2100 Kg or 4200 pounds weight
- manual transmission

I can not attach graphics files because i'm new in the forum

Well first thing I see is a weight issue. Have you removed the rear seat and spare? Every 100lbs is good for 4% increase in fuel economy. The next thing I would do is consider checking your front stabilizer shock to make sure your truck is driving true without too much slop (corrections loose momentum and reduce mpgs). Check Tire pressure, alignment and wear. Double Check cv boots, hubs and suspension parts that can be lubed. - you need to be rolling smooth before attacking aerodynamics.

If your truck is lifted try to get back to stock suspension. Lowering it to the height of a 2x4 is a good idea also. If you don't use the 4x4 make sure to engage it once a month just to lube it up.

A transmission service would be a good idea here as well.. The smoother your rolling, the better the mpgs.

Check spark plug gaps, air & fuel filter, etc.. If your in the mood, I'd pop off your intake and give it a good cleaning with a wire brush and carb cleaner.

**Once you've done this, go 3 tanks and adjust the nut behind the wheel.**

Then when it comes to aerodynamics a front lip and side skirts would be a good idea. A full belly pan would be good as well. Consider a grill block also. These mods can all be done for around $100. But you won't see the benefit if you're not applying the correct methods.

A stage 3 project might be taking off your rear removable top and customizing an aerocap like some of the pickup truck guys have. That would drastically reduce weight and drag. I'd like to see a couple of tanks with just this cap off the truck then the aerocap added.

Sure you can attack this out of order and get the best bang for the buck, but you won't be able to compare the data and know what your true be benefit will be. **Adjusting the nut behind the wheel is the biggest challenge. It will also see the most gains.

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face. May the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George

Last edited by TXwaterdog; 11-15-2011 at 03:11 PM..