View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
highhung723
EcoModding Lurker

Tips for a beginner

I just started trying to hypermile my 2011 Toyota Camry in suburban driving. I've been using many of these tips before coming to this forum (e.g. braking early, rolling to a stop sign or right turn on red light, etc.). But my area is full of aggressive drivers/overspeeders including myself until a couple of days ago. My concerns are:

-how do people deal with honkers, traffic, people wanting to pass you, fast accelerators?
My route has a parkway that is 50 MPH, but most people go at least 10 over. I try to go 50 on the right lane, but sometimes traffic makes me want to speed too. How do people get over that urge? When at red lights, I try to accelerate smoothly and slowly. Is there an RPM that I should be aiming for to optimize MPG and acceleration? I try going about 1500 but that is too slow for traffic behind me. I was wondering if there was a more efficient range.

-I'm afraid of turning off my engine during coasts, so right now I'm only going to neutral. I'd like to coast for as long as possible, but people just end up tailgaiting, changing lanes, and then passing me to get one spot ahead at a stoplight. Sometimes this will throw off my estimate and I will have to brake sooner because there are more cars in front. Does this happen to anyone else?

Any other tips specific to beginners would be helpful. I'm looking to get a Scangauge as soon as my budget allows it.

Thanks!