View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Kodak
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Look at it this way: by anticipating red lights, you give yourself more information about traffic than other drivers. Some probably don't realize the light until they're passing you. Others are opportunists who view getting ahead of you as a goal. That's fine. Let them around safely if they insist on a pass. It's annoying when your gap is taken, but driving with a buffer (even with its inconveniences) is better and safer than tailgating just to hold your spot.

I think you may find traffic to be a bit friendlier if you accelerate a bit more briskly. Some of the honking will probably subside. You'll find by searching around here that brisk acceleration (not too slow, but not revving too high) is good for fuel economy. You'll get up to steady cruise sooner. I call it 'bang for your buck' acceleration. Of course, unnecessary acceleration is still bad, so still actively maintain your buffer zone and coast to lights as you've been doing.

What I'm trying to say is that you don't have to be part of the rat race to the next light, but if you accelerate at a snail's pace, you're likely to irritate others and even waste fuel getting up to speed. 1500 is definitely low, in my opinion.

I hope that answered it. Occasionally, other drivers will be puzzled by my coasting too, but I do it in the right lane, and even then I get back up to a cruising speed that's around the speed limit.

And yes, your buffer zone will be infiltrated by other drivers, but that's pretty typical.

Last edited by Kodak; 11-17-2011 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: spelling